Hertfordshire is situated in the south east of England. It’s a county of contrasts, which means people living here get the best of both worlds – we’re surrounded by beautiful countryside but with good road and rail links to London, Cambridge and further afield.
Sitting in the picturesque Home Counties, we are in an ideal location outside of London, with excellent road, rail and air links to wherever you want to go!
You don’t need to travel for hours for some great trips out – there is plenty to do in Hertfordshire and the surrounding areas:
- Award winning open spaces and parkland at Fairlands Valley Park in Stevenage and Stanborough Lakes in Welwyn Garden City
- Explore wonderful stately homes and grounds at Knebworth House and Hatfield House
- Picturesque market towns such as Hitchin and Hertford with markets, shops and restaurants in beautiful surroundings
- Excellent shopping facilities across Hertfordshire, from small independent shopping in Hertford and Stevenage Old Town, to modern shopping centres and department stores at Welwyn Garden City
- A range of leisure activities such as bowling, cinema, gym, indoor crazy golf, trampolining and restaurants/bars at Stevenage Leisure Park
- Great walking opportunities such as the Great Icknield Way and Grand Union Canal Walk, with a wealth of wonderful country pubs to visit on the way.
Whether you are looking to buy or rent anything, from a room in a shared house to a property of your own, there is a range of accommodation close to all of our hospital sites.
We can sometimes offer temporary accommodation to help you find your feet if you are moving into the area. For some roles we can also offer help with relocation – please ask us and we would be happy to provide you with more information to help with your move to Hertfordshire.
With 26 independent schools and 73 state secondary schools and 4 colleges (Hertford Regional College, North Hertfordshire College, Oaklands College and West Hertfordshire College) in Hertfordshire, there is a range of choices if you are moving into the area with dependents.
Additionally, our local University of Hertfordshire is a modern university based largely in Hatfield with more than 23,000 students and has been awarded Gold in the Teaching Excellence and Student Outcomes Framework, meaning the University is of the highest quality found in the UK.
There is a comprehensive bus service across the main towns in Hertfordshire and to and from all of our sites.
20 minutes by train will take you directly into central London where you can enjoy all the sightseeing, museums, theatres and nightlife that our wonderful capital has to offer.
With trains going directly into London King’s Cross, St Pancras and Moorgate, you’ll also be able to access the London Underground and bus network to take you wherever you wish to go in London and beyond, including the London Eye, Camden Market, the West End and more.
If you are looking to go further afield, there are direct trains from Stevenage to a world of wonderful places to visit, such as Brighton,
Leeds, and the picturesque cities of Cambridge and York. You can even travel directly by train right up to Aberdeen and Edinburgh in Scotland from Stevenage.
Fancy a few days on the beach, a citybreak or visiting family? With Luton, Stansted, Heathrow, Gatwick and London City airports on the doorstep of all of our hospital sites, you can easily jet off for a few days.
With two of the budget airlines operating from our two nearest airports, visiting Europe is easy from Hertfordshire, especially as there are bus services to and from the airports from Stevenage.
Additionally, as an NHS employee, you can get great discounts on airport parking and airport lounges to start your journey off smoothly.