Please note the information on this page has been updated, but may change at short notice due to coronavirus (COVID-19).
Main hospital-based sessions
Blood test appointments, requested by GPs, should now be booked online for the following hospitals: Hertford County Hospital, Lister Hospital and New QEII. This is to help maximise the number of tests we can offer to patients, minimise queues and continue to maintain social distancing in waiting areas.
Our current walk-in service will remain in place for those attending outpatient appointments.
Adult and Children (11 years and over)
You should book your appointment using the links below:
Children (10 years and under)
If the patient is under 10 years old, please book using the following link:
- Lister Hospital (Children)
- There are limited appointments for children under 10 available at Hertford County Hospital and New QEII Hospital. Please call the Phlebotomy team below to book.
In order to book your appointment, you will need your NHS number, postcode, name, date of birth and mobile phone number.
Children under 1 year
For blood tests for children under 1 year, please call Lister Bramble ward on 01438 314333 (x6315) (regardless of address)
Attending your appointment:
When you arrive for your appointment, please go to the phlebotomy reception area at the hospital and provide your name and your appointment time.
Please arrive promptly and ideally no earlier than five minutes beforehand to help ensure social distancing.
For more information, please visit Changes to our walk-in blood test service.
Hertford County Hospital
- Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm (excluding bank holidays)
- Children 1-10 years will be fast-tracked upon arrival (no children 1-10 years after 3pm)
- Adults Monday to Friday, 8am to 5.30pm (excluding bank holidays)
- Adults Saturday, 8.45am to 12.45pm (no children 1-10 years)*
- Children 1-10 years will be fast-tracked upon arrival (no children 1-10 years after 4pm or at weekends)
New QEII Hospital
- Adults Monday to Thursday, 8am to 5.30pm (excluding bank holidays)
- Adults Friday, 8am to 5pm (excluding bank holidays)
- Adults Saturday, 8am to 12noon (no Children 1-10 years)*
- Children 1-10 years will be fast-tracked upon arrival (No children 1-10 years after 4pm or at weekends)
We are unable to see children under the age of 10 at the Lister and New QEII clinics on Saturdays unless an urgent appointment has been pre-booked by their GP.
Community-based sessions – GP surgeries
Phlebotomy services are due to restart at the following practices, with more to follow:
- Birchwood Surgery (Letchworth) – open Monday (8:30-10:15am), Tuesday (1:30pm-2:30pm), Thursday (8:30-09:15am and 11:30-12:30pm), Friday (10:55am-12:10pm)
- Valley View Surgery (Goffs Oak) – open Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 08:30-12:30
Community-based sessions – appointment only
Appointments are needed to attend these phlebotomy sessions:
Park Drive Health Centre (by appointment only via Baldock and Letchworth GP surgeries)
- Tuesday, 8.30am to 12noon
- Wednesday, 1.30pm to 4.30pm
- Thursday, 8.30am to 12noon
Bedford Road Health Centre (by appointment only and then through just the following Hitchin GP surgeries: Marshall House, Orford Lodge, Portmill and Regal Chambers)
- Tuesday , 8am to 4.30pm
Hoddesdon Health Centre (by appointment only)
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 2pm (excluding bank holidays)
Danestrete Clinic (by appointment only – appointments are made normally directly by nurses with patients attending anti-coagulation clinics)
- Mondays and Wednesdays only, 8.30am to 11.45am (excluding bank holidays)
Stanhope Road Health Centre (by appointment only, but through the health centre itself – 01992 818500)
- Monday to Friday , 8.30am to 12noon (excluding bank holidays)
Bowling Road Health Centre (by appointment only)
- Monday, 1.30pm to 3.45pm (excluding bank holidays)
- Wednesday, 8.30pm to 12noon
- Friday, 8.30am to 12noon (excluding bank holidays)
Fasting blood test requirements
- Fasting glucose – at least 8 hours fasting
- Glucose tolerance test (GTT) – 8-14 hrs fasting
- Fasting lipids and triglycerides – at least 12-14 hrs fasting
- NB: Fasting means no food or drink apart from water.
It is advisable to be well hydrated before a blood test. Please remember to drink water before getting your blood taken.