Our booking service is now available. This new service (SwiftQueue) will allow you to book, manage and cancel your blood test appointments.
Adult and Children booking service (11 years and over)
You can now book your appointment using the links below.
In order to book your appointment, you will need select one of the links below and either register or log into your account on SwiftQueue. You will then be able to book, manage and/or cancel your appointment. You can also manage family members’ appointment by adding them to your account.
Adults and children (over 11 years)
To book an adult or children’s (11 years and over) blood test, please click the appropriate hospital below:
If you need a fasting appointment, please book your appointment using the Fasting appointment links below.
Children (10 years and under)
If the patient is under 10 years old, please book using the following link:
- Hertford County Hospital (Children 3-10 years)
- Lister Hospital (Children 1-10 years)
- New QEII Hospital (Children 3-10 years)
Children under 1 year
For blood tests for children under 1 year, please call Lister Bramble Ward on 01438 286315. Please only call this number to book a child under 1 year. We are unable to book or manage adult appointments on the phone number – please use the booking links above.
When you arrive to the department, please go to the phlebotomy reception area at the hospital and provide your personal details. The waiting area is small and you may be required to leave the department and return depending on the current wait times.
Community-based sessions – GP surgeries
Phlebotomy services are now widely available at GP surgeries within the Trust. Please contact your local GP surgery for further details and appointment times.
Community-based sessions – appointment only
Appointments are needed to attend the following phlebotomy sessions:
Park Drive Health Centre (by appointment only via Baldock and Letchworth GP surgeries)
- Tuesday, 8.30am to 12noon
- Wednesday, 1.30pm to 4.30pm
- Thursday, 8.30am to 12noon
Bedford Road Health Centre (by appointment only and then through just the following Hitchin GP surgeries: Marshall House, Orford Lodge, Portmill and Regal Chambers)
- Tuesday, 8am to 4pm
Hoddesdon Health Centre (by appointment only)
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 2pm (excluding bank holidays)
Danestrete Clinic (by appointment only – appointments are made normally directly by nurses with patients attending anti-coagulation clinics)
- Mondays and Wednesdays only, 8.45am to 11.45am (excluding bank holidays)
Stanhope Road Health Centre (by appointment only, but through the health centre itself – 01992 818500)
- Monday to Friday , 8.30am to 12noon (excluding bank holidays)
Bowling Road Health Centre (by appointment only)
- Monday, 1.30pm to 3.45pm (excluding bank holidays)
- Wednesday, 8.30am to 12noon
- Friday, 8.30am to 12noon (excluding bank holidays)
Fasting blood test requirements
- Fasting glucose – at least 8 hours fasting
- Glucose tolerance test (GTT) – 8-14 hours fasting
- Fasting lipids and triglycerides – at least 12-14 hours fasting
- NB: Fasting means no food or drink apart from water.
It is advisable to be well hydrated before a blood test. Please remember to drink water before getting your blood taken.