Ward 6B, Lister Hospital
Ward 6B is our main inpatient nephrology (kidney/renal) ward with 25 beds, situated on level 6 in the Lister Hospital’s main tower block, we also have some beds on the opposite ward, 6A. Our patients are cared for by a dedicated team of doctors, nurses, clinical support workers and other allied health care professionals. Within Ward 6B we can undertake dialysis in the 4 bayed dedicated acute haemodialysis unit.
Senior Sister: Shiji Sivan
Matron: Alison Anderson
Ward 6B Manager: Anne Barairo
Ward 6A manager: Rommel De Peralta
Renal Interventions Treatment Unit (RITA), Lister Hospital
Patients who do not require to be admitted to a ward for certain tests/procedures or intravenous medications can be treated at RITA. This is a day unit located on the concourse of Ward 6B. Day patients are cared for by a small friendly team of nurses and Clinical Support Workers.
Clinics at Lister Hospital
The main specialist outpatient clinics are held at Lister Hospital, however there are some general nephrology clinics held at other sites.
Dialysis facilities are provided at:
- Lister Hospital, Stevenage
- St Albans City Hospital
- Bedford Dialysis Unit, (Napier Road)
- Princess Alexandra Hospital, Harlow
- Chiltern Kidney Centre
Home Therapies Unit
This unit offers training for patients who want to carry out their own treatment at home for peritoneal dialysis or haemodialysis. The unit is next to our haemodialysis unit on level 3 at Lister Hospital.
Haemodialysis Manager: Natalia Storey
Peritoneal Dialysis Manager: Tracey Bellwood
Our haemodialysis patients can take part in the Shared Care programme, which encourages and enables patients to participate in their dialysis treatment. Patients can do as much or as little as they wish such as taking their own temperature or weighing themselves or even preparing their dialysis machines and putting the dialysis needles into their access.
Senior Sister: Natalia Storey
Matron: Betty Sunil
- Advanced Kidney Care Nurse Specialists who support patients before they start dialysis.
- Counsellors and social workers to provide psychosocial support
- Specialist dieticians to provide expert advice on diet and fluid allowances.
- Kidney transplant team, who prepare patients/relatives for a kidney transplant. The team work closely with the transplant centres at Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge, along with London’s Royal Free and Hammersmith hospitals.
- Renal pharmacists, provide an expert knowledge of medicines used of treating patients with kidney conditions.
Specialist referral centre
Our renal service is recognised as a specialist referral centre for renal medicine serving most of Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire and parts of Essex
For the latest Covid-19 information for East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust patients and visitors, please click here.