Ward 6B, Lister Hospital
Ward 6B is our main inpatient nephrology (kidney/renal) ward with 25 beds, situated on level 6 in the Lister Hospital’s main tower block, we also have some beds on the opposite ward, 6A. Our patients are cared for by a dedicated team of doctors, nurses, clinical support workers and other allied health care professionals. Within Ward 6B we can undertake dialysis in the 4 bayed dedicated acute haemodialysis unit.
RITA, Lister Hospital
Patients who do not require to be admitted to a ward for certain tests/procedures or intravenous medications can be treated in the Renal Interventions Treatment Unit (RITA) This is a day unit located on the concourse of Ward 6B. Day patients are cared for by a small friendly team of nurses and Clinical Support Workers
Clinics at Lister Hospital
The main specialist outpatient clinics are held at the Lister hospital, however there are some general nephrology clinics held at other sites.
Dialysis facilities are provided at:
- Lister Hospital, Stevenage
- St Albans City Hospital
- Bedford Dialysis Unit, (Napier Road)
- Princess Alexandra Hospital, Harlow
- Luton and Dunstable Hospital (due to move to the Chiltern Kidney Centre in autumn 2021)
Luton Dialysis Unit is relocating
The Luton Dialysis Unit is relocating to a new facility, The Chiltern Kidney Centre, scheduled to open in autumn 2021. The new centre will have more space, a broader range of services and will ensure we continue to provide high-quality care for our patients into the future. Further details are published in the patient information leaflet.
Online information events for patients took place in June and July 2021 hosted by the trust’s renal and operational teams. Recordings of the events are available to view.
22 June: the recording of the webinar is available to view
7 July: the recording of the webinar will be available to view soon
Home Therapies Unit
Offers patient choice by training patients to carry out their own treatment at home for peritoneal dialysis or haemodialysis. The unit is situated next to our haemodialysis unit on level 3 at the Lister Hospital
Our haemodialysis patients can take part in the Shared Care programme, which encourages and enables patients to participate in their dialysis treatment. Patients can do as much or as little as they wish such as taking their own temperature or weighing themselves or even preparing their dialysis machines and putting the dialysis needles into their access.
- Advanced Kidney Care Nurse Specialists who support patients before they start dialysis.
- Counsellors and social workers to provide psychosocial support
- Specialist dieticians to provide expert advice on diet and fluid allowances.
- Kidney transplant team, who prepare patients/relatives for a kidney transplant. The team work closely with the transplant centres at Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge, along with London’s Royal Free and Hammersmith hospitals.
- Renal pharmacists, provide an expert knowledge of medicines used of treating patients with kidney conditions.
Specialist referral centre
Our renal service is recognised as a specialist referral centre for renal medicine serving most of Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire and parts of Essex
For the latest Covid-19 information for East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust patients and visitors, please click here.