What is ADHD psycho-education?
Once ADHD is diagnosed, the next step in management is a multi-modal approach. Psycho-education a well established evidence based practice. This includes providing information on ADHD and its management, empowering patients and parents with necessary skills. Psycho education for patient/parents/carers and professionals start when the diagnosis of ADHD is confirmed.
Psycho-education continues throughout the course of ADHD management irrespective of use of medications. The aim of a psycho-educational approach is encourage symptom recognition, allow active participation in treatment, enhance adherence to treatment – both pharmacological and non-pharmacological – and provide patients and families with coping skills to manage their child’s ADHD.
The following is a list of useful websites from which information sheets about ADHD can be downloaded:
- Help for kids with ADHD
- National Institute of Mental health – ADHD
- Young Minds – ADHD
- ADHD: Information for parents, carers and anyone working with young people
- Mental Health Foundation – ADHD
- Children and Adults with Attention Defict/Hyperactivity Disorder
- Austin Child Guidance Center
- Working With Your Child’s School
- Psycho-education course by ADDISS