Our haematology team works closely with hospital clinicians and local GPs to provide a comprehensive range of emergency and non-emergency services for those over 16.
Outpatient clinics are held at the Lister, New QEII and Hertford County hospitals and include general haematology patients and haemato-oncology patients. Day care facilities for haematology patients are provided at the Ascots Day hospital on the New QEII site and in the medical day unit at the Lister.
Elective transfusions, immunoglobulin and iron infusions, and simple day care procedures such as venesections are carried out in the day units.
Haematology oncology is based at the Lister, with intravenous chemotherapy provided in the Macmillan Cancer Centre. Intravenous chemotherapy is not provided at our other hospital sites.
There are five specialist haematology consultants:
- Judith Hanslip (consultant haematologist and head of clinical haematology)
- Xenofon Papanikolaou (consultant haematologist and lead for blood transfusion)
- Mehedi Hasan (consultant haematologist and lead for laemostasis)
- Anupama Jaggia (locum consultant haematologist)
- Moustafa Abdou (locum consultant haematologist)
We also have one specialty doctor. The team is supported by an expert and dedicated team of nurses and administrative staff.
- Lister Hospital – Area nine, yellow zone and Lister Macmillan Centre
- New QEII hospital –Area A, yellow zone, level one
- Hertford County hospital – Clinic C