Diabetes is a condition where the amount of glucose in your blood is too high because the body cannot use it properly. This is because your pancreas does not produce any insulin, or not enough, to help glucose enter your body’s cells – or the insulin that is produced does not work properly (known as insulin resistance).
The East and North Herts Diabetes service is a nationally renowned and award-winning service. We are a multidisciplinary team of 12 consultants, 4 registrars, 10 nurses and 2 research nurses, 2 dieticians, 5 podiatrists, 1 foot technician and 2 diabetes educators. We also run a telehealth service for young adults and for patients with diabetic kidney disease.
Inpatient diabetes care
We are the first diabetes team in England to offer a 7-day inpatient diabetes specialist nurse and consultant led service. We liaise with specialty teams and offer advice if required. The diabetes (and endocrinology) wards are 10b North and 10b South.
The process at outpatient clinics varies slightly from site to site. However, you can expect
- A diabetes clinic appointment to last for 25 minutes
- Please book in to reception
- A nurse will measure your height, weight and calculate your body mass index (BMI) and measure your blood pressure.
- The nurse will ask you when your last foot check and eye tests were carried out.
- Please bring your meter and your blood glucose diary. If compatible your meter will be uploaded to DIASEND – this is software that allows you to see graphs of your blood sugars and enables you to identify any patterns.
- Please bring an up to date list of your medications
- You should be given a questionnaire to complete to regarding the topics you wish to discuss during your consultation
- You will also be given a questionnaire to be filled out about hypoglycaemia (low blood sugars)
- A foot technician will check your feet if these have not been checked within 12 months.
Diabetes clinic types
- Diabetes nurse led clinics
- Joint renal clinic
- Joint eye clinic
- MDT foot clinic
- Antenatal clinic
- Preconception clinic
- Transition adolescent diabetes clinic
- Young adult clinic
- Pump clinic
- Monogenetic diabetes service
- Structured diabetes education – IDAC
How can I get referred?
Referrals are through a triage process – single point of access (SPOC). Referrals are reviewed and patients booked to the appropriate service.
Patients who have been an inpatient at Lister hospital can also be referred by the attending team through a referral form (ex-ward referral form).
Endocrinology is the branch of medicine dealing with disorders of the endocrine system and its specific secretions, called hormones. There are many types of hormones including but not limited to: thyroid hormones, adrenal hormones, sex hormones, growth hormones, hormones involved in salt and water or blood pressure regulation. You may be referred because you have clinical features of a suspected hormone disorder, or because you have had blood tests which are indicative of a hormone disorder.
The endocrine department offers an inpatient (based at Lister Hospital) and outpatient service (Lister, Hertford County and the new QE2 hospital).
We have 12 consultants based at these three hospitals. Each consultant offers general endocrinology services and some lead subspecialty clinics.
These are the services offered:
- General endocrinology clinics
- Management of blood lipids disorders
- Metabolic bone disease
- Adrenal disorders
- Transitional adolescent endocrinology care
- Joint antenatal clinics
- Cancer-related endocrinology and inpatient support for Mount Vernon
- Men’s health nurse (advice on testosterone therapy, erectile dysfunction, hypogonadism).
- Outpatient endocrine testing is carried out at ambulatory care at the new QE2 and Lister hospital.
- Intravenous zoledronate injections for osteoporosis are carried out at ambulatory care at the new QE2 and Lister Hospital.
Dr Wincocour Secretary:
Tel: 01438 288309
Dr Darzy Secretary:
Tel: 01438 288387
Dr Al-Sabbagh Secretary
Tel: 01438 288310
Dr Zalin (D&E only) NOT ACUTE Secretary
Tel: 01438 284090
Dr Zac Varghese Secretary
Tel: 01438 284090
Dr Joharatnam / Dr Solomon Secretary
Tel: 01438 284482
Dr George / Dr Kaplan Secretary
Tel: 01438 284828
Dr Filipas (D&E only) NOT ACUTE Secretary
Tel: 01438 285205
Dr Ako/ DR Troke Secretary
Tel: 01438 285205