We are nurses who specialise in the care of patients with a complicated wound whilst they are inpatients. We offer strategic and patient-specific advice with regard to wound and pressure ulcer care issues. We also deliver a variety of teaching sessions to our healthcare professional colleagues with regard to wound care.
One of our main aims is to prevent hospital acquired pressure ulcers (otherwise known as bed sores). We support our colleagues with this in a number of various ways:
- We deliver continuing education to ensure that knowledge is up to date
- We write policies and guidelines to ensure that care is consistent for everyone
- We are also active in reviewing equipment such as beds, mattresses and devices to reduce pressure on specific areas of the body to ensure that we have the best systems in place
This increased emphasis on prevention has caused a massive reduction in the occurrence of avoidable hospital acquired pressure ulcer since 2012.
Some of the wound types we see are:
- Leg ulcers
- Surgical wounds that have broken down
- Diabetic foot ulcers
- Pressure ulcers (bed sores)
As specialist nurses, we see patients of any age in our inpatient wards at the Lister and Mount Vernon Cancer Centre.
We can be contacted on
Lister 01438 284685