The Trust’s routine pathology services are managed by the Pathology Partnership - a joint venture between six NHS trusts in the East of England that have come together to modernise delivery of pathology services for hospitals, GPs and patients.
The Partnership was formed in May 2014 in response to changes driven by commissioners and NHS England to transform pathology services and follow the best practice recommendations set out in the Carter Report on Pathology 2008.
The six Trusts in this NHS joint venture are:
- Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Colchester Hospital University NHS Foundation Trust
- East & North Hertfordshire NHS Trust
- Hinchingbrooke Healthcare Trust
- Ipswich Hospital NHS Trust
- West Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust
By consolidating pathology services into a network of laboratories across a wider geographical area, the partnership will deliver significant efficiencies and benefits for patients, hospitals and GP surgeries.
For more information on blood, urine and other pathology test please use the lab tests online website
Pathology service opening hours
Lister and QEII hospital
- Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
- Weekdays 5.00pm to 9.00am
- Weekends and bank holidays all day
Phlebotomy (blood tests)
For a full list of blood testing clinics that are run by the Pathology Partnership from the Trust’s hospitals, well as a number of community-based locations, please click here.
Your results are sent to your doctor using electronic reporting systems, so you should contact your doctor’s surgery for your results.
Introducing a new and efficient way of managing pathology services
During 2014/15 a programme of modernisation and standardisation of practices across the laboratories within the Pathology Partnership will be introduced. Each hospital within the Partnership retains an on-site pathology service focusing on turning round critical tests promptly for patients in their own hospitals.
The Partnership’s laboratories will operate on a hub and satellite model. Non-urgent GP testing will be consolidated at the hub laboratories in Cambridge and Ipswich. Smaller satellite laboratories will operate from the other locations within the Partnership and will focus on fast turnaround on critical tests for their own inpatients.
This model of working allows the service to be more responsive to the requirements of hospitals and GPs.
Microbiology tests for hospitals and GPs are being centralised at the hubs in Cambridge and Ipswich under the management of Public Health England.
Contacting the Pathology Partnership
If you would like to find out more about the Pathology Partnership in general, including about vacancies, please go to its dedicated website. Other useful contact details for the Partnership are:
- Location manager at the Lister - Frank Oliyide (01438 284 045 or email@example.com)
- GP helpdesk - 01223 257 148 (08.00am to 8.00pm, Monday to Friday) or firstname.lastname@example.org
- GP liaison manager - Linda Underwood, GP liaison manager at the Pathology Partnership, will be keeping GPs and practice managers fully informed of developments through locality group meetings, emailed bulletins, practice visits and via CCG and Trust communications channels for GP (01223 292981, 07903 701162 or email@example.com)