Hypnobirthing is a complete antenatal education programme that develops understanding and teaches techniques that can help towards a calmer labour and birth. It focuses on a combination of education, self-hypnosis and deep relaxation, which between them help to reduce the effects of fear and tension that lead to pain and can prevent your body from birthing normally.
Studies have shown that hypnobirthing may lead to:
- Reduced need for conventional forms of pain relief
- Increased chance of normal birth
- Increased satisfaction with birth experience
- Reduced length of the first stage of labour
Hypnobirthing is for anyone interested in learning these techniques, from first-time mums to those who may have had difficult or caesarean births previously.
The courses are run by midwives who have trained as hypnobirthing practitioners, giving you the benefit of professionals who have expertise in pregnancy, labour, birth and hypnobirthing.
The classes use The Wise Hippo teaching method and the four sessions are structured as follows:
- Defining hypnosis
- Acknowledging pain
- How we birth and the impact of fear
- Mind/body connection
- The impact of others
- Taking charge of your thoughts
- Positions for relaxation
- Eyes open hypnosis, time distortion, anchoring
- Birth partners script
- Establishing a practice routine
- Alternative options for promoting comfort
- Medical intervention
- Natural nudges of encouragement for your baby
- Interventions explained
- Benefits of a natural birth
- Writing your birth preferences
- Physical preparations for birth
- Fear release
- Positions for birth
- Ligaments and pelvis
- Birthing your baby
- Using the techniques during labour
- When baby arrives
The ideal time to start hypnobirthing classes is around 32 weeks, as you will need to practice the techniques taught in order to achieve the maximum benefit during labour.
The course takes place over four classes, run on Monday evenings from 6.30 to 9.00pm in the Bancroft clinic at the Lister. Each class will have a maximum of six couples.
Here at the Lister, we are pleased to be able to offer our classes for £175.00 per couple, which includes a non-refundable deposit of £50.00 to secure your place. The price includes:
- 10 hours of classes
- Five hypnobirthing recordings (in mp3 format)
- Course hypnobirthing book
For further information, and to book your place, call 07887 505 432 to leave a message and contact details.
For our hypnobirthing information leaflet, please go to the patient information leaflets page and scroll down to the maternity section.