Women in East and North Hertfordshire have the option of having their baby with at home, in the midwifery led unit (MLU) or in the the Consultant led unit (CLU) at the Diamond Jubilee Maternity Unit. These leaflets will give you the information to help you make this decision but your midwife will also be able to advise you.
You can also look at our patient information leaflets if you are considering a water birth or where to have your baby.
Home birth is a safe option for women who have no problems during preganncy; however a planned home birth is safer than an unplanned one. if you are thinking of about having your baby at home it is important that you let your midwife know at the earliest opportunity.
Things to consider with a home birth:
- You will have little or no medical intervention during labour
- You may feel more relaxed and in control in your own home
- You may be more likely to have met your midwife before labour starts
- You will not have access to an epidural
- Although it is rarely necessary, you may be advised to transfer to hospital if complications arise.
A birth plan is a record of what you would like to happen during your labour and after the birth. Click here to print out a blank birth plan to discuss with your midwife and fill in by hand, or to fill in a birth plan online, save it and print it out.