Gastroenterology is the specialty of diagnosing and treating diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. This consists of the oesophagus, stomach, small bowel (small intestine), large bowel (large intestine or colon), the liver and pancreas.
Our Gastroenterology team provide an extensive range of services covering all areas of gastroenterology and hepatology. These include:
- Gastro-oesophageal reflux, Gastric and duodenal ulceration, other causes of indigestion (dyspepsia).
- Inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s Disease), coeliac disease, functional bowel disorders.
- Liver diseases caused by alcohol, viral hepatitis. autoimmune and metabolic conditions.
- Chronic pancreatic insufficiency
- Nutritional problems
- Cancer – Gastroenterology consultants are members of the Cancer Multidisciplinary Teams in the Trust and Mount Vernon Cancer Network. These teams are responsible for the management of people with cancer of the oesophagus, stomach, pancreas, liver and bile ducts, small intestine, colon and rectum.
- Bowel Screening as part of the National Bowel Cancer Screening Programme
As part of the ‘Our Changing Hospitals’ programme, the majority of patients who require emergency admission because of a gastrointestinal problem are admitted to the Lister hospital. During 2012 our service will be expanded to treat all inpatients at the Lister. A Consultant Gastroenterologist is on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
These are held at the Lister, QEll and Hertford County hospitals. Consultants are supported by trainee doctors and specialist nurses to provide a range of clinics for:
- General Gastroenterology
- Dysphagia and Barretts Oesophagus
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- General Hepatology
- Liver transplant clinic in collaboration with the Royal Free Hospital
- Family History of Bowel Cancer – Specialist Nurse led
- Bowel Screening – Specialist Nurse led
- Iron Deficiency Anaemia – Specialist Nurse led
Our contact details
Lister 01438 285054
QEII 01707 224044
Hertford 01438 314333 (Switchboard)