Diabetes is a condition where the amount of glucose in your blood is too high because the body cannot use it properly. This is because your pancreas does not produce any insulin, or not enough, to help glucose enter your body’s cells – or the insulin that is produced does not work properly (known as insulin resistance).
Endocrinology is the branch of medicine dealing with disorder of the endocrine system and its specific secretions, called hormones.
We offer the following specialist services across all 3 of our hospital sites
- In patient diabetic care
- Joint Diabetic Eye Clinics
- Joint Diabetic Foot Problems Clinic
- Joint Diabetic Kidneys Clinic
- Insulin Pump Clinics
- Glucose Monitoring Systems
- Structured patient education
- Transitional adolescent Diabetic care
- Nationally renowned expertise in diabetes provision
- Management of blood lipids disease and Metabolic bone disease
- Pituitary disease and thyroid disorders
- Adrenal and general Endocrinology services
- Transitional adolescent Endocrinology care
- National expertise in cancer related endocrinology and support – Dr Ken Darzy
At the Lister patients are admitted onto one of the inpatient wards as and when required.
Patients are seen at Lister, QEII and Hertford County within the outpatients departments by a consultant.
Dr Ben Zalin – Consultant – Acute medicine, Diabetes & Endocrinology
Dr Felicity Kaplan – Consultant
Dr Ken Darzy – Consultant
Dr Peter Winocour – Consultant
Dr Stella George – Consultant (currently on Maternity leave)
Judith Anstey – based at Lister 01438 284090 (med sec for Dr Ben Zalin)
Jacqui Johnson – based at Lister 01438 284828 (med sec for Dr Felicity Kaplan)
Julie Sayers – based at QE II 01707 224826 (med sec for Dr Peter Winocour)
Chris Amsdon – based at QE II 01707 224390 (med sec for Dr Ken Darzy & Dr Stella George)
Rona Nickson – Diabetes Database Co-ordinator – based at QE II 01707 225003
Community Paediatric Diabetic Team
Welwyn Garden City
Fax: 01707 224737