Application process for student volunteer programme – nursing and medicine
- Applicants must be aged 16-18
- Placements can only be offered to local students i.e. those living within the following post codes: AL1, AL3 – AL10, SG1 – SG19.
- All placements will be at the Lister Hospital in Stevenage.
There will be a non-refundable administration fee of £40 per student which will be collected at interview should you be accepted to join the programme.
- Places are offered on a first-come first-served basis.
- If your expression of interest is successful we will email you an application form within 24 hours. We will also confirm your interview date and time.
- All students will be required to provide sufficient evidence for us to undertake a Disclosure & Barring Service check (DBS). One of these items should be a letter on headed paper from your school or college confirming your home address.
- We will require two references
- Before being allowed to commence the placement, all successful applicants will be required to attend the Trust’s mandatory training on the date specified at time of application.
- Assuming that all our registration checks are satisfactory and the administration fee has been paid, you will be offered the next available placement.
Placements for successful applicants:
Successful applicants will be allocated to a specific ward where they will volunteer for three hours a week at a mutually agreed time. This will be either breakfast, lunch or supper service.
Most students will need to take some time off for holidays or sickness and to accommodate this placements will be shown as 20 week placements. You will be given an expected finishing date when you start.
Completion of the programme:
Once you have completed 12 weeks of your placement, you will be able to request a half-day work shadowing. This will be subject to consultant availability.
When you have finished your 15 weeks and returned your ID badge, uniform and completed logsheet, a letter of attendance will be issued. This can be used as evidence for university applications.