About the Appeal
The Forget Me Not Appeal’s aim is to raise £275,000 to create a dementia friendly environment at the Lister hospital. Every month the Lister will see 200 dementia patients admitted. It is estimated that 40% of those admitted to hospital over the age of 75 will have dementia. Our aim is to produce an environment which is both comforting and stimulating, helping our dementia patients feel more relaxed and at ease during their hospital stay.
What do our dementia patients need?
Dementia makes a person’s memory deteriorate to such an extent that they can forget how to dress, wash and even eat. Imagine having to go to an unfamiliar place like a hospital when you rely on familiarity and routine. Imagine how scary a hospital would be for someone with dementia.
We can’t eliminate all fear, but there are things we can do to make the hospital experience just a little less scary and a little more comfortable for them. With your support we would like to:
- Install specialist flooring which absorbs sound, making our dementia patients feel less anxious and
- Fit specialist lighting which replicates daylight during the day and a soft glow at night. This has been proven to ease agitation and encourage rest.
- Install state-of-the-art bedside entertainment systems to ensure patients can listen to music and watch TV of their choice, without disturbing other patients.
- Refurbish the day rooms to create a more ‘home from home’ environment.
- Purchase luxury recliner chairs, enabling partners to stay overnight to reduce distress and panic.
How you can help?
If you would like to donate to this appeal please go to our JustGiving page or you can text FMNL75 to 70070 to donate £5.
If you would like to organise a fundraising event for the appeal please email: email@example.com – we would love to hear from you.