Publication of consultant treatment outcomes
Patients are now able look at data that shows them the outcomes of surgery performed by individual specialist teams at NHS hospitals across the UK. NHS England – via the national MyNHS website - publishes consultant-level outcome data for 11 national audits, as part of its Everyone Counts guidance, to drive up quality and help patients make informed decisions.
The 11 specialties for which data is available currently are:
- Adult cardiac surgery (heart surgery – coronary artery bypass graft, valve surgery, aortic surgery and all cardiac surgery)
- Vascular surgery (surgery on veins and arteries, including abdominal aortic aneurism and carotid endarterectomy)
- Thyroid and endocrine surgery (surgery on the endocrine glands – thyroidectomy, lobectomy, isthmusectomy)
- Bariatric surgery (surgery to treat obesity, including gastric bypass, gastric banding and sleeve gastrectomy)
- Interventional cardiology (heart disease treatments carried out via a thin tube placed in an artery –such as percutaneous coronary intervention)
- Orthopaedic surgery (surgery for conditions affecting bones and muscles, such as hip and knee replacement)
- Urological surgery (surgery on the kidneys, bladder and urinary tract – nephrectomy)
- Colorectal surgery (surgery on the bowel – bowel tumour removal)
- Upper gastrointestinal surgery (surgery on the stomach and intestine, covering stomach and oesophageal cancer removal)
- Head and neck cancer surgery (including larynx, oral cavity, oropharynx, hypopharynx and salivary gland cancer removal)
- Lung cancer (principally the resection rate for lung cancer)
For more information on each of these specialties, please go to the MyNHS website.